Friday, February 2, 2018

Welcome to Unusual Parasitic and Fungal Infections!


Hello everyone!


Welcome to the Unusual Parasitic and Fungal Infections blog!  In this blog, I will be presenting you all with interesting and useful information about infections that some of you might have never heard of.  I will showcase infections from around the world and focus particularly on infections caused by parasites and fungi.

When I say parasites, I mean "larger" microorganisms like protozoa and helminths.  Protozoa are large, single-celled organisms (malaria) and helminths are worm parasites (tapeworms).

The reason I want to share information about parasitic and fungal infections is because I feel that parasitic and fungal infections are not as known compared to bacterial and viral infections.  At least for myself, when ever my family would suspect I had something, they would think it was a bacterial infection or a virus.  This kind of misconception could lead to wrong diagnosis and later complications in the worst scenario.

My end goal is to inform you of the kind of rare infections in certain parts of the world.  I believe it is important to know some of these infections in case you decide to travel to a certain region.  That way you can take sanitary precautions and enjoy your trip to the fullest!

I will be posting very soon on interesting, rare and unusual parasitic and fungal infections, and even on rare bacterial and viral infections if I find an interesting one to show.  I invite you to comment at the end of my posts and share experiences if you like or recommend interesting infections.  I am passionate about this topic and eager to learn of new infections.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Parasitic "Co-infections"

Normally when a person is infected with a parasitic disease, people assume that they only have one parasite that is causing them trouble.  ...